Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Rest of June and July

While John & Annie were having fun down South, Sally (Goethals) and Darren Smith and their family visited us in Des Moines on their way to Sturgis.  We adults stayed up way too late catching up both nights, but we did manage to squeeze in time at the Science Center of Iowa for the kids.  
         
For Independence Day, we visited Kyle's parents in Waubay, South Dakota.  The kids loved the relaxed, "go outside and find something to do" atmosphere of a small town.  They even asked if we could just move there.  The boys (Buzz, Kyle, & John) drove around and ran into a former classmate of Kyle's who happens to be an American Indian.  John was pretty amazed at that.  Kyle and John thrilled all of us with fireworks all day on the 4th of July.  We also visited Kyle's aunt & uncle, Audrey & Al Dutenhoffer on Saturday.  Kari came over with her 1 year old daughter, Ashlyn and John got to drive a big tractor.  
           
Back at home, the kids dived right in to swimming lessons - and everyone passed!  Every time we go to the pool now, Erin wants her height measured.  She's so close to the 48 inches required to go down the big slides.  We all hope she makes it before the end of the summer.  
    

  


Katie & Erin are spending this week at Living History Farms Day Camp - each for 1/2 days; Erin in the morning, Katie in the afternoon, Mom in the car driving all day.  Additionally, since Kyle has been gone for 4 days this week, I offered to take each kid on a date one per day.  I don't exactly know why I do this to myself because I then get nothing done for myself or the house, but I have really enjoyed the time alone with each of the kids and I know that it has been really special to each of them.  

This week also, Nancy, Kyle's sister, brought her three granddaughters over for Tuesday and Wednesday.  Sara's girls are Amaya-6 1/2, Ariana-almost 3, Hayden-5 months.  We enjoyed seeing all of them. 
  And we're all so glad that Kyle is home again, tonight.  

2 comments:

Joe C. said...

Nice pix and story! You guys have had a busy summer as well. Thanks for sharing. John--nice job driving that front-end loader.

Peace,

Joe

Sara said...

I'm tired just reading it! Thanks for taking the time to share your beautiful family - the fun trips and summer activities. That pool looks fantastic!